Missouri Women in the Health Science Professions

Print this window

Close this window

St. Luke’s Hospital was opened in April 1866 in a building on Ohio Avenue and Summer Street, constructed from funds raised by the St. Luke’s Association under the auspices of the Episcopal Church. The hospital’s public service was soon evidenced by its offer of free care for cholera patients during the cholera epidemic that summer. The hospital moved to the corner of 6th and Elm Streets in March 1870; three years later it moved to Pine Street, between 9th and 10th Streets. In 1880 the generosity of Henry Shaw allowed the purchase of a lot at on the northeast corner of 19th Street and Washington Avenue. A new hospital building opened in 1882, remaining in operation until 1904, when a larger facility opened on Delmar Blvd., between Belt and Clara Avenues.